Towards Sustainable Arctic Futures
Fulbright Finland Foundation is seeking participants for a multidisciplinary expert study tour “Towards Sustainable Arctic Futures” to kick-off Finland’s Arctic Council Chairmanship in the spirit of collaboration, partnerships, and sharing of best practices. The program takes place in Alaska and is timed to coincide with the transfer of the Arctic Council Chairmanship from the U.S. to Finland.
What to Expect
- Experience the excitement in Fairbanks when Finland takes over the Arctic Council Chairmanship!
- Showcase your work and innovative projects with audience around the Arctic countries!
- Network and share best practices with experts!
- Learn new information on arctic priorities, innovations and research!
- Explore nature conservation at Denali Park!
May 5-May 13, 2017
The Study Tour can accommodate only up to 14 participants, so sign up quickly by sending an email to mirka.mcintire(a)fulbright.fi. Link to SurveyMonkey registration form and instructions for paying the registration fee will follow.
We are seeking to form an interdisciplinary group of participants. The group led by Fulbright Finland may include representatives from Finnish higher education institutions, Finnish ministries, NGOs, think-tanks and media, as well as decision makers, business leaders and entrepreneurs from Arctic municipalities and other entities with Arctic expertise and interest.
Purpose of the Study Tour
- to explore areas of common concern in the Arctic environment under the pressure of climate change and global economic demands for natural resources
- to create an opportunity for Finnish and American experts and leaders in Arctic issues to share best practices to pave the road towards sustainable Arctic futures
- to form a tight group of study tour alumni to make the most of Finland’s Arctic Council Chairmanship, and to get a jump start on, and visibility for introducing best practices in Arctic know-how to audiences in Finland and beyond
View the flyer for AIEA Thematic Forum and take advantage of this great oportunity to connect with US universities!
Costs and Logistical Arrangements
Estimated Study Tour costs per person will be approximately 3 000-3 500 EUR in addition to flights (with arrival to Anchorage and departure from Fairbanks).
The sum includes the following program related costs in the U.S.: accommodation, local ground transportation (including Aurora Winter Train to Healy), visit to Denali National Park, selected meals and coffees, meeting room and material costs, and all organizing costs related to the Study Tour program.
In addition, participants or their home organizations are responsible for paying and arranging flights, per diem (if applicable), taxi from the airport to the hotel upon arrival and from the hotel to the airport for departure, as well as travel insurance with proper coverage for travel in the U.S.
During Fulbright Study Tours, the actual participation costs will depend on the number of participants (shared costs are divided among participants), site visits included in the final program (transportation, potential seminar or speaker fees and other costs related to the selected site-visits), and the exchange rate. Closer estimate of the participation costs will be shared with the participants once the number of Study Tour participants has been confirmed and the program finalized.
Except for the registration fee for signing up, Fulbright Finland Foundation pays the participation costs on behalf of the participants up front, and bills the participants after the trip according to the actual costs. Please visit the Fulbright Finland website for information on past study tours: www.fulbright.fi/fi/palvelut-asiantuntijoille/opintomatkat
We are still in the process of recruiting enough participants for the tour to take place, so please feel free to share the information with experts interested in the theme!
For more information, please contact:
Fulbright Finland Foundation sr.
tel. +358-44-5535 269