If you do not already have a valid U.S. passport, obtain one from the nearest U.S. passport office or its local agent.

Dual Citizens

The U.S. State Department’s position is that dual U.S. citizens taking part in the Fulbright Program travel on their U.S. passports, even if it entails some extra time and expense.However, dual Finnish-U.S. citizens cannot apply for residence permits to come to Finland on Fulbright but need to travel with their Finnish passports.

A copy of your birth certificate and two photographs are needed for the application. When purchasing photos, order a few extra small passport-size photos of yourself and each family member accompanying you – these will be useful when obtaining various identification, discount, and public transportation cards after your arrival in Finland.