- The online application form is used by Fulbright programs worldwide and not all items in the application form are applicable to Finns. To know how to fill in the application as a Finnish candidate, you should take note of the specific detailed instructions below and stick to them very carefully. Unfortunately the Fulbright Finland Foundation cannot modify the online application form to fit solely for the Finnish applicants. Due to this, please have the instructions below at hand all the time when filling in the application form. In case there is a difference between the instructions in the online form and the instructions provided in this instruction leaflet, please follow the ones in this instruction leaflet targeted for Finnish candidates.
- Despite the text on the online application, you are not required to call to the Fulbright Finland Foundation before beginning to fill in the application form. You can simply tick “yes” to the question on have you contacted the Fulbright Finland.
User ID and Password
- Create an account and password for the on-line application.
- Your email address is your user ID.
- An e- mail is sent to you indicating your User ID and Password. Keep this information in a safe place.
- While you cannot change your User ID, if necessary, you can change your password by clicking on “Update My Account” at the top of the Home page of this application.
- You do not need to complete this application at one sitting. You can re-enter at any time and edit your application.
- Remember that once you submit your application, you can NO longer make changes to it.
- All forms in this application are to be completed in English.
- Do not use ä and ö letters when typing your name and address on the application.
- Avoid using all capital letters when answering items, e.g. name, address, etc. It is better to use upper and lower case, e.g. Ron Smith.
- You can copy and paste information into all text boxes.
- In the text boxes, you must limit your responses to the space provided. Information that exceeds the space provided will not display or print.
- You can review each page of the application in its PDF format by clicking on the Preview button on the upper right-hand corner.
STEPS TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION
Applicants for the Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with University of South Florida, please choose the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
STEP 1: INSTRUCTIONS
Read carefully before filling in the application.
STEP 2 AND 3: APPLICATION FORM AND ESSAYS
- Name: List your name exactly as it appears (or will appear) on your passport. Please use upper and lower case when entering in your name, e.g. Ron Smith.
- Application Cycle: Please select “2019-2020”.
- Degree Objective: Select one category from the drop down menu of choices. Choose the objective that best describes your plans.
- Master’s: Choose if you are planning to earn a master’s degree at USF.
- Non-degree: Choose if you are planning to concentrate on full- time coursework at USF for one academic year.
- Field of Study: From the choices, select the field of study most appropriate to your study objective.
- Briefly describe your field of specialization: In case you were not able to find the correct field of study from the drop down menu in the previous question, please write here also the term in English you wish the Fulbright Center to use when referring to your academic field. In addition, describe here the field you wish to specialize in.
- Education (institutions attended): Please list all post-secondary institutions attended in reverse order. List all post-secondary institutions attended even those from which you did not achieve a degree.
- Examination Results: Examination Results: TOEFL, GRE or GMAT test results are not required for the Fulbright grant application. However, if you have already taken the TOEFL, GRE or GMAT test/s, please indicate the examination date and your results.
- Emergency Contact: If you do not have an emergency contact in the U.S., you may leave this section blank.
- Personal Information: The information provided on this form will be used by the Fulbright Finland Foundation and the Fulbright administrative agencies in the United States for internal purposes only.
- National Identification Number (32): Please ignore
- References (37): Finnish applicants should select “I DO WAIVE” my right to inspect the contents of the recommendation.” Reference letters used in this application process are confidential and they should be submitted by the recommender directly to Fulbright Finland by saving them on the online application or sending them by mail. Fulbright Finland will not share the contents of the reference letters with the applicants. Please see instructions for submitting the references below in the Supplemental Forms section.
- University Preference (41): Write here University of South Florida.
- Personal Financial Information: If you have personal financies for studies at USF, please describe them here.
- Study/Research Objective Essays: Study/Research Objective can be 1-2 pages long. The Study/Research Objective description that you provide is an essential and highly important part of your application. You should take great care to write a clear and very detailed description of the program you want to pursue. Clearly identify the area(s) within your field of study in which you want to specialize or concentrate. If there is specific research that you want to accomplish, please describe.
If your objective is to pursue non-degree studies in the U.S., explain what you plan to accomplish during your grant period.
Give your Study/Research Objective a title in English and in Finnish/Swedish and start your essay with it. The title should be concise and describe the topic of your study or research in the United States.
When writing the Study/Research Objective essay, remember that the text needs to be understandable also for readers representing other that your own discipline/field of specialization.
- Personal Statement: Personal Statement can be one page long. Please see tips for writing the personal statement at the grant program website.
TECHNICAL NOTES FOR THE ESSAYS (Study/Research Objective and Personal Statement)
You have several ways in which you can create your essays.
a) You can compose your essay on-line. Please note there is a 40-minute ‘time out’ function. You will need to either complete your essay in 40 minutes or periodically save your essay. You will not be able to customize the formatting of your essay.
b) You can copy and paste text from another document and edit online. Again, you will have a 40-minute “time-out” function. You will not be able to customize the formatting.
c) You can upload text from another document. This is the only option where you will be able to retain special formatting, e.g. bold, underline, headers, double spacing, etc. While you cannot edit an uploaded document on-line, you can delete your upload, make your corrections in your document off-line, and upload again.
--> Leave a 1½ inch (4cm) margin at the top of every page of your essays.
--> Preview your essays to make sure the formatting is correct (preview button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen). Use the “Back” browser button to return to your essay in order to stay in the application.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Please save the following documents and information on this section regardless of the section title. Please combine all the documents (a-g) as one file and save the file to the online application by using the browse and upload functions.
a) Grant Category: You may attach to the application a separate paper where you write the name of the grant program that you apply for i.e. Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with University of South Florida.
b) Signature Form can be printed out from the Supplemental Forms section in the online application
g) CV in English
i) If you have not received your Bachelor's degree by the Fulbright deadline, but you have completed all the required courses for the degree, attach your home university statement on this as well as information on when you will receive your diploma.
In case you are not able to save these documents to the Resume/CV section, you can save them on any other possible section in the application.
- Transcripts: Please combine the following documents (a-b) as one file and attach the file on this section.
a) Official transcripts (opintorekisteriote) in English (translated by the issuing university) to the online system. You need to attach one transcript from each university or post-secondary institution you attended, even those schools from which you did not receive a degree or diploma.The transcripts should list the subjects you studied and the grades you received during each year of your enrollment and have a signature and a stamp.
b) University or post-secondary diploma (tutkintotodistus) for each post- secondary or university degree awarded to you. The diplomas can be in Finnish or English. Please note that for example the transcript or a Diploma supplement is not sufficient to replace the actual university diploma. You need to attach the actual diploma to the Fulbright grant application online.
If you are invited for an interview to Fulbright Finland you are requested to show the official original diplomas and transcripts at the interview.
- Writing Sample: Optional. The maximum length is 6 pages.
STEP 4 AND 5: SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
It is a good idea to print all supplemental forms prior to submitting your application electronically. However, even after submitting your application you will be able to access these forms.
Letter of Reference:
- It is strongly recommended that your recommender completes the Letter of Reference form online and submits it electronically. To enable this you need to register your recommenders to the online application by clicking on the Continue to Recommendations button (Step 5). After registering your recommender he/she will receive an automated e-mail informing him/her of the online recommendation process. It is strongly recommended that after registering your recommenders you contact them to make sure they have received the recommendation instructions e-mail. In some rare cases the receiving computer system’s firewall may block the notification e-mail. Please note that only three letters of reference can be submitted electronically. Candidates who are required or wish to submit four letters should use the printed Letter of Reference form from the Supplemental Forms section. The fourth reference letter must be e-mailed by the letter writer to the Fulbright Finland Foundation, [email protected].
- Your recommender can complete the Fulbright Letter of Reference form and mail the paper version directly to the Fulbright Finland Foundation. You will need to print out the Letter of Reference form from the Supplemental Forms section and forward it to your recommenders.
Only those recommendations your recommenders submit electronically or e-mailed directly to the Fulbright Finland Foundation will be accepted. The applicant cannot submit the recommendations. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure recommenders submit their letters in time. The recommender can submit his/her recommendation letter even though the applicant would have already submitted the application.
- Report on Proficiency in English: Not required for Finnish applicants.
- Signature Form: You must print out, sign, and attach it to the online application.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae section.
- Transcript Release Form and Academic Records Information: Please ignore.
STEP 6: APPLICATION INSPECTOR
Before you can submit your application electronically, your application will be reviewed for completeness. If there is missing data, you will be prompted to correct
- REVIEW AND PRINT THE FINAL VERSION OF YOUR APPLICATION FOR YOUR RECORDS. IF YOU NOTICE THAT SOME OF THE DOCUMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN SAVED ON THE APPLICATION, CONTACT THE FULBRIGHT FINLAND BEFORE THE END OF THE DEADLINE.
STEP 7: SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- After completing this application and thoroughly reviewing it, you will submit it electronically to the Fulbright Finland Foundation, Helsinki.
- Note carefully, after submitting your application electronically, you will be able to access it in a viewable PDF format and access supplemental forms. You will be able to print your application and supplemental form. However, you will not be able to make changes to your application. At the bottom of the home page of your application, there is a ‘track your status’ link. This is a functionality some Fulbright programs use to remind applicants of items that are still needed to complete the application dossier. Please note that the Fulbright Center does not use this part of the application system to communicate with the applicants.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that all required items are submitted by the application deadline. The application will be reviewed ONLY if ALL the required documents have been submitted by the deadline.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- The applicant is responsible for the travel to the interview and any other related costs.
- Please note that the awardee is provided with two full day orientations on September 2019 (TBC) and May 2020 (TBC) in Helsinki. The orientations are compulsory.