Support and Advice Services in Finland:
- A one-day orientation training in fall about the choice between different American universities and applying for those universities (only for the graduate students).
- A one-day orientation training in spring before the departure. In the departure orientation we discuss issues related to, for example, taxation, social security, visas, and how the American university environment is to study and do research in. During the orientation, the grantees also have an opportunity to ask previous grantees about their experiences regarding the practical issues related to living in the U.S.; the university culture, apartments, and organizing children’s day care and school, for instance. (The Fulbright Finland Foundation will reimburse the grantees’ travel costs to the orientations as agreed in advance).
- Orientation Guide (in Finnish). The Guide includes tips for those travelling for a Fulbright period with their families, for example.
- The Fulbright Finland Foundations’ materials are available for the grantees to use and borrow.
Support and Advice Services in the U.S.
- The Fulbright alumni support. For example, the Finnish Fulbright Welcome Network in the U.S.
“The Fulbright network is great! We’re going to Seattle and Vancouver with my family for Christmas. I contacted the Fulbrighters in Seattle and one of the American alumni there, who’s also been in Finland as a Fulbrighter, asked us to come and see his current work place. He works for the U.S. Coast Guard on an icebreaker ship, so we’ll do a tour on the ship. That’s gonna be really cool! Also another Fulbrighter living in Bozemann, Montana has asked us to visit him. He lives close to the Yellowstone national park and we’re planning to visit the area in late spring.” - A Finnish Graduate Student 2018-2019
- The contact person of IIE/CIES is available during the grant period especially related to the questions about visas, taxation, and other local regulations in the U.S.
- The IIE service website for the Fulbright graduate grantees can be found at http://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/ and the CIES service website for the Fulbright researcher grantees at www.cies.org.
Partial Renewal Grants
- For students who continue their studies in the U.S. after the initial grant year
- The value of the benefit is e.g. $ 1000-4000
The ASPE additional coverage for the grantees
- The value of the benefit $380–1875
The flexible and free visa application process for the Fulbright grantees
- Collaboration with the U.S. consulate
- No visa fees; the value of the benefit $160
- No SEVIS fee; the value of the benefit $180
Pre-Academic and Gateway courses
(Only for graduate students)
- The value of the benefit e.g. $1000 – 4000
- The free summer courses for the grantees before the start of the official studies (if the study schedules so allow): e.g. the field-specific courses lasting for 4 to 5 weeks (e.g. “Introduction to the American Legal System”) or the orientation courses to the American culture and/or studies in the U.S. lasting for 3 to 5 days (“Gateway Orientation”)
- The IIE covers the course costs and the materials, accommodation, and meals during the course and provides a reimbursement of 200 USD for the costs caused by the transfer to the study destination.
- Further information on the Pre-Academic and Gateway courses
Fulbright Enrichment Seminars
- The value of the benefit is often at least 1000 USD (incl. travels, accommodation, meals, conference fee)
- The annual Fulbright seminars are open to all Fulbright grantees coming from all over the world
- Further information on the enrichment seminars for graduate students
“Overall there are hundreds of Fulbright grantees in the NY metropolitan area. The IIE and the ‘One To World’ organization have regularly organized events for the grantees. I’ve been particularly happy about the IIE’s Culture Desk, which offers free tickets to cultural events. My studies are indeed balanced by theater visits as well as by concerts in the best venues of the city, such as in the Metropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall.” - Finnish Graduate Student 2016-2017
Freetime activities for grantees organized by the IIE
- Freetime activities organized by the IIE/CIES offices
- The New York Cultural Desk organizes freetime activities and offers e.g. free concert and theater tickets for the Fulbright grantees
The Fulbright Network
- A global network of over 250,000 grantees
- The local network of Fulbright grantees in the destination city/town and in the host university