Please note that many of the views presented in this Guide are based on the personal experiences of previous Fulbrighters who have shared their thoughts and observations with us. For example, there are many ways to look at cultural matters in particular, which are often the source for interesting discussions and debates. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the material in this Guide, the Fulbright Finland Foundation does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
The first step is to be well prepared for arriving in a new country, both mentally and physically. Finland is quite different from the U.S., but good preparation will save you from a number of unwanted surprises and will help you get the most out of your experience.
Certain essential administrative tasks need to be taken care of months before the actual grant period, such as organizing your passport and residence permit. Also, academic issues such as finalizing your study/teaching program must be completed several months prior to your arrival.
Download a checklist to help you remember the important to-do tasks you must take care of before your arrival in Finland, upon arrival, and before traveling back to the U.S.
Get in touch with Fulbright Finland Outreach Ambassadors who are here to support your arrival and stay in Finland!
During your first week in Finland you should:
- Visit The Digital and Population Data Services Agency DVV where you will be registered to the Population Register and where you can fill in the notification of move form for mailing purposes
- Consider applying for a Finnish ID card or an identity verification certificate from the Police.
- Open a bank account (Optional - NB! Fulbright-EDUFI Fellows must consult their host on this question)
- Set up a phone connection
- Come say hi to us at the Fulbright Finland Foundation!
See more information about the first things to do after your arrival.
Daily Life in Finland
This section includes general and practical information, as well as tips for how to make the most of your Fulbright grant term in Finland.