“We are a university where curiosity meets courage. We are a world where those with inspiration inspire each other. We are an ambitious and encouraging community creating a better tomorrow. Be one of us.”
Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology
Since 1969, Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology (LUT) has brought together two complementary fields of science ― technology and business studies. Based on their core competences they concentrate on the following focus areas in research and education:
- Clean energy;
- Circular economy with a focus on clean water and waste streams;
- Sustainable business and entrepreneurship.
7,000 students, teachers and researchers make up the university's international scientific community. Demanding current issues such as curbing climate change, the availability of clean water and the continuous availability of energy are the aims of the technology and business solutions LUT University produces.
In the disciplines of business administration, LUT University concentrates on sustainable value creation through fostering innovations and continuous renewal – competitiveness.
The university has a strong international community for example more than thirty per cent of students who started in the autumn of 2018 were foreign students. At LUT University, it all starts and ends with top-level international research. With regards to education, the university is committed to offering the very latest knowledge to its students, arming them with strong tools for working in demanding tasks in their future professions.
“We at LUT University encourage students to keep an open mind and be open to learn, unlearn and relearn. Stay curious. See learning as something fun. We will help you by providing an excellent learning environment with modern facilities and state-of-the-art teaching. Studying at LUT University is not only about theoretical lectures – the majority of courses include project-based assignments through which students can learn to apply their theoretical knowledge to solve problems – a necessary skill in a real working life.”
LUT University’s up-to-date technological environment offers extensive and innovative learning possibilities to its students. Furthermore, LUT University provides an especially serene setting for studies, thus its students are energized by the surrounding nature and are able to grow both personally and professionally in a relaxing, clean and safe environment. University campuses are located in Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland.
Want to hear more top facts? LUT University is one of the world’s best universities, according to the Times Higher Education (THE), QS World University and ARWU Rankings.
The Fulbright-Lappeenranta University of Technology Graduate Award includes a monthly grant of EUR 1 000 . The grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD1 600) and a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, LUT awards a scholarship for the recipients of the Fulbright-Lappeenranta University of Technology Graduate Award to cover the annual tuition fee of EUR 10 000. The scholarship is granted also for the second year of Master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in his/her studies during the first year.
In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
The Fulbright student award competition is open to U.S. students who hold minimum Bachelor's degree. Academically talented graduating seniors may also apply before having the degree in hand.
The grant is aimed primarily for students who wish to complete a full Master’s degree at Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology. Also other students, such as academically talented doctoral students and Master’s degree exchange students (non-degree students) will be considered for the grant.
Fulbright-Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology has a dual application procedure: The Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
The Fulbright grant competition
Please read the detailed application information for Finland. The final selection is made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution Fulbright program advisor.
The student is responsible for securing affiliation with Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology. Degree student applicants need to apply for admission to Lappeenranta University of Technology in accordance with the university application procedure and timetable. You can see the application period for Master’s Degree Programs and Exchange Studies here. For more information please see http://www.lut.fi/web/en/admissions. Students seeking to pursue doctoral studies at LUT should contact Mr. Janne Hokkanen, Director for Study and International Affairs, [email protected].
More information on studying and application deadlines at the Lappeenranta University of Technology: www.lut.fi/masters, email enquiries: [email protected]
LUT has nineteen high-profile Master’s programs (M.Sc.) in technology and business which are taught in English. With regards to doctoral studies, LUT offers academically challenging and well planned Doctor of Science Programs in its fields of specialization. Also, a four-stage tenure track for researchers helps to build the academic careers of LUT teaching/research staff.
International Master’s Programs offered at the Lappeenranta University of Technology
Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.)
- Environmental Engineering
- Sustainable Science and Solutions, Lappeenranta campus
- Circular Economy, Lahti campus
- Energy Technology
- Energy Conversion, Lappeenranta campus
- Nuclear Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Bioenergy Systems, Lappeenranta campus
- Electrical Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronic System Design, Lappeenranta campus
- Advanced Structural Design and Robotized Welding, Lappeenranta campus
- Industrial Design Engineering, Lahti campus
- Sustainable Production in Mechanical Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Chemical Engineering and Water Treatment, Lappeenranta campus
- Computational Engineering and Technical Physics, Lappeenranta campus
- Information Technology, Lappeenranta campus
- Global Management of Innovation and Technology, Lappeenranta campus
Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration, M.Sc. (Econ. & Bus.Admin.
- Business Analytics, Lappeenranta campus
- International Business and Entrepreneurship, Lappeenranta campus
- International Marketing Management, Lappeenranta campus
- Strategic Finance, Lappeenranta campus
- Supply Management, Lappeenranta campus
City of Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta, a city of 72,000 residents located in Southeast Finland, combines cozy small town atmosphere with full-scale urban comforts. Our international guests soon pick up on the relaxed vibe and are eager to get the most of their “Lappeenranta Experience”. The locals know the story: as the town weaves its slow magic on the arriving students, pretty soon they do not want to leave at all.
Eastern Finland hospitality is legendary, even in a country known for its warm, welcoming smiles. At LUT, a lot of effort has been directed at student services (conveniently located on the university campus, of course).
In addition to the breathtaking landscape of Lake Saimaa, Lappeenranta embraces its historical position between the East and West. Lappeenranta is both a geographical and an academic gateway from the European Union to Russia. As it stands, the Lappeenranta University of Technology is only about 230 kilometers from the third largest metropolis in Europe – St. Petersburg – and there is an equal distance to Helsinki, capital of Finland. Furthermore, excellent public transportation connections as well as direct international flights make Lappeenranta easy to reach.
Partner Organization Contact Information
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Mary-Rolfe Zeller, Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student and Scholar Programs
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +1 202 326 7855
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of Finnish higher education institutions.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as an access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
Fulbright-LUT Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.