Tampere University was formed at the beginning of 2019 when two previously separate universities, Tampere University of Technology and the University of Tampere, merged into one. The University of Tampere was first established in 1925 and Tampere University of Technology in 1965. Thus, Tampere University has many decades’ experience in educating university students.
Education at Tampere University is based on the latest research knowledge, strong lifelong partnerships and close collaboration with society and working life. Studies at Tampere University provide you with high-quality education and give you excellent opportunities to form a global network of both professional and academic colleagues.
Research at Tampere University focuses especially on topics related to technology, health, and society. Numerous research groups and networks operate in our community conducting multidisciplinary and diverse studies across organizational boundaries.
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland and we offer various inspiring master's programmes conducted in English. Tampere Summer School offers courses covering various academic fields and up-to-date topics. The University cooperates with about 550 partner universities internationally, and it draws its students and staff from 80 countries.
Please see all Master's degree programs on Tampere University website
- The Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award includes a monthly grant of EUR 1 000 (9 months).
- The grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD 1 600),
- residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, incl. grantee and accompanying family members, funded by the Foundation) and
- a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
- Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, Tampere University awards a scholarship for the Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Awardee to cover the annual tuition fee (in 2020 max. 12 000 €). The scholarship is granted also for the second year of Master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in their studies during the first year.
- In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
- Opportunity to apply for additional funding from the Lois Roth Endowment. (This funding is applied for after arrival to Finland.)
- Alumni network and activities provided for the grantees of the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs.
Education loan deferment: While on a Fulbright in Finland, U.S. Student grantees have often been able to . Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category. Grantee should confirm this with the lending institution.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
The award competition is open to U.S. students who hold minimum Bachelor's degree. Academically talented graduating seniors may also apply before having the degree in hand. The grant is aimed for students who wish to complete a full Master’s degree at the Tampere University.
On a Path Toward an Inclusive and Accessible World
2020-21 Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Awardee Johna Wright shares her journey of becoming a Fulbrighter and experiences studying in Finland.
Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award has a dual application procedure: The Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
The Fulbright Grant Competition
Please read the detailed application information for Finland. Please see the Application section.
The final selection is made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution Fulbright program advisor.
There are two Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Awards available per year.
Admission to the University
The student is responsible for securing affiliation with the Tampere University. Degree student applicants must apply for admission to the Tampere University in accordance with the university application procedure. Please see the instructions on how to apply for admission at the Tampere University website. Please see Fulbright application affiliation instructions and submission deadline on the Affiliation section on the U.S Student Program website.
Degree student applicants need to apply for admission to the Tampere University in accordance with the university application procedure and timetable.
Please see the Grant Application Timeline on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website under the heading Grant Timeline.
- Fulbright Grant Programs & Destination Finland
- Tampere Summer School
- Tampere University Facebook
- Tampere University Twitter
- Tampere University LinkedIn
- Tampere University YouTube
- This is Finland
- Visit Tampere
Partner Organization Contact Information
Manager of International Affairs
E-mail: [email protected]
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Kyler Castro, Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student Scholar Program
Email: [email protected]
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Program Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
The Fulbright-Tampere University Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.