University of Helsinki
The University of Helsinki is the leading research university in Finland and consistently ranks among the top 20 universities in Europe. The University offers a multi-disciplinary and international study environment and the services and infrastructure, including libraries, laboratories and computer environments, are world-class.
The University offers several International Master’s Degree Programmes taught in English. Some of the programs are provided jointly by the University of Helsinki and other Finnish or foreign universities. Students in these two-year programs will find themselves in a truly international learning environment with a mixture of students from Finland and across the globe.
- The Fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award includes a monthly grant of EUR 1 000 (paid for nine months)
- the grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD 1600),
- residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, incl. grantee and accompanying family members, funded by the Foundation) and
- a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
- Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, University of Helsinki provides a full tuition scholarship (EUR 13 000 – 18 000 depending on the program) for the recipients of the Fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award. The scholarship is granted also for the second year of Master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in their studies during the first year.
- In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses in Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
- Opportunity to apply for additional funding from the Lois Roth Foundation. (This funding is applied for after arrival to Finland.)
- Alumni network and activities provided for the grantees of the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs.
- The University of Helsinki alumni network, Helsinki Alumni, invites all Fulbright grantees and scholars to the alumni network to benefit from the network activities already during their stay at the university. Signing up is cost-free. The activities for the UH USA Alumni and Friends network are open also for those, who still consider whether to apply to become the University of Helsinki Fulbright grantees.
Education loan deferment: While on a Fulbright in Finland, U.S. Student grantees have often been able to . Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category. Grantee should confirm this with the lending institution.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
Fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award is targeted at applicants who are going to complete a full Master’s Degree Program at the University of Helsinki.
The fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award is targeted at applicants who are going to complete a full Master’s Degree Program at the University of Helsinki.
The Fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award has a dual application procedure: The Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution's Fulbright program advisor.
The Fulbright grant competition
Read the detailed application information for Finland. The final selection is made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
Admission to the University of Helsinki
Applicants need to apply for admission to the University of Helsinki. The application period to the university and its International Master’s Degree Programs usually begins in December. For detailed information, please see University of Helsinki Admissions. Please consult the affiliation instructions and submission deadline in the Affiliation section on the U.S. Student Program website.
Please see the Grant Application Timeline on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website under the heading Grant Timeline.
Cost of Study and Living in Finland
Please find information and tips for budgeting and funding second-year living costs as a Master's student in Finland on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website.
Partner Organization Contact Information
The University of Helsinki
Tel. Thursdays from 12.00 to 14.00 (UTC +2), +358 2941 24140 (local Finnish time)
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Kyler Castro, Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student Scholar Program
Email: [email protected]
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Programs Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
The Fulbright-University of Helsinki Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.