University of Jyväskylä
University of Jyväskylä (JYU), established in 1863, has its roots in the first Finnish Teacher Training College. Today JYU is an international research university and one of the largest and most popular multidisciplinary universities in Finland. JYU brings together education and psychology, natural sciences and mathematics, humanities and social sciences, sport and health sciences, as well as business and economics with the latest knowledge and skills. In the global university rankings, JYU is ranked among the top three per cent of all universities worldwide.
In JYU’s close-knit and vibrant student-centered learning environment everyone is able to find their individual path. JYU wants your time as a student to be the best time of your life and the university is committed to supporting your well-being and academic study success throughout your studies.
JYU’s core fields in research and education are:
- Learning, teaching and interaction
- Basic natural phenomena and mathematical thinking
- Language, culture and society
- Physical activity, health and well-being
- Information technology and the human in the knowledge society
- Sustainable Business and Economics
Please see JYU’s International Master's Program portfolio on the university's website.
- The Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award includes a includes a monthly grant of EUR 1 000.
- the grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD 1600),
- residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, incl. grantee and accompanying family members, funded by the Foundation) and
- a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
- Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, University of Jyväskylä awards a scholarship for the Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Awardee to cover the annual tuition fee. The scholarship is granted also for the second year of master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in their studies during the first year.
- In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
- Opportunity to apply for additional funding from the Lois Roth Endowment. (This funding is applied for after arrival to Finland.)
- Alumni network and activities provided for the grantees of the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs.
Education loan deferment: While on a Fulbright in Finland, U.S. Student grantees have often been able to defer loans. Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category. Grantee should confirm this with the lending institution.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
The award competition is open to U.S. students who hold minimum Bachelor's degree. Academically talented graduating seniors may also apply before having the degree in hand. The grant is aimed for students who wish to complete a full master’s degree at the University of Jyväskylä.
Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award has a dual application procedure: The Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
The Fulbright Grant Competition
Please read the detailed application information for Finland. Please see the How to Apply section. You will find there also the application deadline and evaluation criteria. The final selections are made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution Fulbright program advisor.
Admission to the University
The student is responsible for the application process to the University of Jyväskylä and securing study placement. Applicants need to apply for admission to the University of Jyväskylä in accordance with the university application procedure and timetable. Please see the affiliation letter instructions and submission deadline on the Affiliation section on the U.S Student Program website.
Please see the Grant Application Timeline on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website under the heading Grant Timeline.
City of Jyväskylä
There is something for everyone in Jyväskylä, Finland’s 5th largest city with a significant legacy in the development of education in Finland. The city of Jyväskylä has a population of 138,109 and it is a youthful city of students where every fourth resident you meet is a student. The city offers some of the best sport and exercise opportunities through all four seasons and a variety of cultural activities to keep the body and mind active.
- Fulbright Grant Programs & Destination Finland
- Visit Jyväskylä
- University of Jyväskylä Summer School
- University of Jyväskylä Facebook
- University of Jyväskylä Twitter
- University of Jyväskylä LinkedIn
- University of Jyväskylä YouTube
- University of Jyväslylä TikTok
- University of Jyväskylä Instagram
Partner Organization Contact Information
University of Jyväskylä
JYU International Office
E-mail: [email protected]
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Kyler Castro, Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student Scholar Program
Email: [email protected]
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Program Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
The Fulbright-University of Jyväskylä Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.