Also post doctorate placements are available for those finalizing their thesis before commencing their grant period.
The grant is for one year. If you wish to enroll in a graduate degree program and complete a full degree at the University of Turku, you can use your Fulbright funding for the first year of study. The second or consecutive years of study would need to be funded by other means.
University of Turku
The University of Turku (UTU) is an international research university and an active academic community of nearly 24,000 students and employees from over 100 countries. As one of the leading universities in Finland, the University of Turku offers study and research opportunities in eight faculties and five independent units – expertise ranging from humanities to natural sciences. The University’s aim and ambition is to provide students with innovative problem solving skills and a high-standard, multidisciplinary education based on the latest research.
The University of Turku is among the TOP 1 % of universities worldwide (QS University World Ranking 2022) and is in some fields among the best universities in the world. Thanks to the outstanding services, compact campus and active academic community, international scholars and students feel at home from the very beginning of their stay.
University of Turku has eight faculties:
- Social Sciences
- Turku School of Economics
Programs offered at the University of Turku
The University offers several International master’s degree Programs in English. Available for intake currently are programs in Economics and Business Administration, Education, Health and Biomedical Sciences, Information and Communication Technology, Law, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. See available University of Turku Master's Degree Programmes.
Master’s degree program in Finnish and Other Finno-Ugric Languages is available and taught in Finnish.
The University of Turku Graduate School coordinates 17 national Graduate Schools for doctoral studies nominated by the Finnish Ministry of Education. For more information see: UTUGS Doctoral Programs
For exchange students, there are several English non-degree programs.
- The Grant is 1 000 EUR/month for Master's students and 1 200 EUR/month for doctoral students.
- If you are accepted to a master's degree program at the University of Turku, the university will award you a scholarship covering the entire tuition fee for the academic year 2023-2024. It will also directly compensate the second academic year 2024-2025, if the student completes the required number of ECTS credits during the first year. Please note that in Finland, tuition fees are not charged in Doctoral studies or degree courses offered in Finnish or Swedish.
- The grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD 1600)
- Residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, incl. grantee and accompanying family members, funded by FFF) and a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
- In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses in Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
- Opportunity to apply for additional funding from the Lois Roth Endowment. (This funding is applied for after arrival to Finland.)
- Alumni network and activities provided for the grantees of the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs.
Education loan deferment: While on a Fulbright in Finland, U.S. Student grantees have often been able to . Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category. Grantee should confirm this with the lending institution.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
The Grant is available for U.S. citizens holding a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Academically talented graduating senior students are also encouraged to apply. Please note that also young post-docs who will not have received their doctorate before the Fulbright Student Program deadline are eligible to apply.
The Graduate award is aimed for those currently seeking admittance or admitted to the University of Turku degree programs, either to doctoral programs or Master's degree programs. Doctoral projects including postdoc placements or Master-level non-degree studies can also be considered. However, degree studies on the Master level are preferred.
The Fulbright-University of Turku Graduate Award has a dual application procedure; the Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
The Fulbright grant competition
Read the detailed application information for Finland. The final selection is made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution Fulbright program advisor.
Admission to the University of Turku
The student is responsible for securing affiliation with the University of Turku. Degree student applicants need to apply for admission to the University of Turku in accordance with the university application procedure. Please see the affiliation letter instructions and submission deadline on the Affiliation section on the U.S Student Program website.
More information on studying at the University of Turku
Please see the Grant Application Timeline on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website under the heading Grant Timeline.
City of Turku
The University main campus is located in the active and picturesque student city of Turku next to the city centre and Aura River. Be it by bike or on foot, you can easily move from one place to another.
Turku is the former capital of Finland, where the first Finnish university was established in 1640. Today, Turku is an active hub of business and education (pop. 313,000 in Turku region).
The city offers a variety of cultural and sports activities. In Turku you are alsoclose to the unique natural landscapes and archipelago of Southwest Finland.
Partner Organization Contact Information
Institute of International Education (IIE), U.S.
Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student and Scholar Programs
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +1 202 326 7855
- Fulbright Grant Programs & Destination Finland
- City of Turku
- Study In Turku
- This is Finland
- University of Turku
- University of Turku Research
- Visit Turku
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Program Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
The Fulbright-University of Turku Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.