Championing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in International Education
Tuesday, February 9, 2021
17:00-18:15 Helsinki (GMT+2)
10:00-11:15 Washington, DC
7:00-8:15 San Francisco
How do we ensure diversity, equity and inclusion as we recruit and attract future U.S. student study abroad participants and facilitate an overall empowering experience? This webinar focuses on the importance of how prepared we are, as international educators, to encourage incoming and outgoing students and scholars to reflect on their identity, the local environment and how to navigate an international context that may be distinctly different. This webinar also focuses on practical steps to develop international offerings in an inclusive manner through intentional marketing, comprehensive advising, and tailored student support for Americans studying abroad.
This webinar is part of the "Internationalization of Higher Education in the COVID-19 Era" series jointly organized by the Department of State’s USA Study Abroad branch, the Fulbright Finland Foundation, and the Association of International Education Administrators (AIEA). These activities support U.S. study abroad and are funded by the U.S. Government through a Study Abroad Engagement Grant from USA Study Abroad within the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
- Amy Henry, Executive Director of International Education, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Tonija Hope Navas, Director, Ralph J. Bunche International Affairs Center, Howard University
Additional resources from the speakers:
- NAFSA article: An Antiracist Framework for Education Abroad
- Racial Healing Handbook: Practical Activities to Help You Challenge Privilege, Confront Systemic Racism, and Engage in Collective Healing
- Mission and Vision on the homepage of the Office of International Education, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Georgia Institute of Technology Strategic Plan
- Book by Amartya Sen: Identity and Violence: The Illusion of Destiny
- Podcast: "Rough Translation"
- Howard University Ralph J. Bunche International Affairs Center
- The Abraham Consulting Agency
- Ralph J. Bunche International Affairs Center's YouTube Channel
- Twitter hashtag: #studyabroadsoblack