Purpose of the Grant Program
The Fulbright Finland Foundation and VTT Technical Research Center of Finland offer a unique opportunity for international research collaboration on a broad range of current issues in science, technology and innovation. The scholar will undertake research at VTT. The research project funded by the Fulbright-VTT Award can be based on either current VTT projects or the researcher can propose a project of their own.
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. They drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. They go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact VTT for more information and to work together in designing the grant activities. Please check VTT’s publication database before contacting VTT to find the research most closely linked to your research interest.
The award is jointly funded by the VTT Technical Research Center of Finland and the Fulbright Finland Foundation.
While this award is open to any field represented at VTT, specific consideration is given on this application round to applications covering the following topics:
- Quantum Technologies and Microelectronics
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (Propertune ICME)
- Other focus areas such as Hydrogen and Plastics
Get to know more about VTT's operations here.
The Fulbright-VTT Scholar Award is available for visits of 4–6 months. It includes:
- Monthly grant of 5,000 EUR (approx. 5,600 USD*), paid out in euro in monthly installments.
- One-time travel allowance of 1,800 USD.
- Residence permit allowance based on the actual permit fees (incl. grantee and accompanying family members).
- Housing for the scholar and their accompanying family arranged and paid for by the host university.
- Work facilities and administrative support.
- Orientation and support services provided by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki. For example, the Foundation will arrange a four-day arrival orientation in Helsinki for all U.S. Fulbright grantees at the end of August each year (orientation is also arranged in January for grantees arriving for the spring semester).
- Fulbright Finland Foundation mid-year activities and networking opportunities (such as the American Voices Seminar at the University of Turku) each year.
* amounts in USD are subject to change due to currency fluctuations.
The grant is awarded mainly to candidates with a Ph.D., but candidates with an MSc degree and strong expertise in their field may also be considered.
Professionals/non-academics with a minimum experience of five years in the field will be considered.
The candidate must be a U.S. citizen. Proposals for medical research involving clinical training, patient care or patient contact are not eligible. Please contact the Fulbright Finland Foundation if you have any questions about the eligibility of your project.
U.S. Scholar Program eligibility guidelines and review criteria are published on the Council for International Exchange of Scholar (IIE/CIES) website.
Applicants residing in Finland are not eligible for a Fulbright grant.
VTT Technical Research Center of Finland
VTT has office locations throughout the country.
VTT’s largest presence is in Otaniemi, Helsinki Metropolitan Area. It is known as a center for technology industry, research and education. Other major office locations include Oulu, Jyväskylä and Tampere. Read more about Helsinki at My Helsinki and more about Espoo at Visit Espoo.
How to Apply?
The application period for the academic year 2023-24 closes on September 15, 2022.
The U.S. program partner in the Fulbright Scholar Program is the Institute of International Education/Council for International Exchange of Scholars (IIE/CIES). Applications are submitted through IIE/CIES and forwarded to discipline-based peer review committees in the United States. Applications that pass this initial peer review in the United States are forwarded to the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki to be reviewed by the Fulbright Finland Foundation’s review committees. The Fulbright Finland Foundation makes the funding decisions and final selections of grantees.
Additional information and detailed application instructions are available from the Fulbright Finland Foundation and IIE/CIES websites.
Resources for Hosts:
|Application period starts:||February 1, 2022|
|Application period ends:||September 15, 2022|
|Earliest possible starting date:||August 2023|
|Orientation seminar in Helsinki:||TBC (expected in mid-August 2023 and mid-January 2024)|
NOTE: July and August are traditionally summer vacation months in Finland and responses to inquiries may be delayed. Applicants are advised to contact the Finnish host institution well ahead of time to solicit an invitation letter for their application.
|Fulbright Finland Foundation
(general Fulbright program related questions)
(host institution related questions)
Read an article by the 2020-21 Fulbright-VTT Awardee Philippe Amstislavski.
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Program Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as an access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
Fulbright-VTT Award in Science, Technology and Innovation program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.