Fulbright Finland Foundation works together with Vanderbilt University to support Finnish students interested in undergraduate studies at Vanderbilt University. The Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University brings added benefits to those Finnish students that receive the scholarships. The award helps Vanderbilt University and the Fulbright Finland Foundation in efforts to enhance high-quality mobility between Finland and the U.S.
Students admitted to Vanderbilt University with the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship or with any Vanderbilt University's merit-based scholarship, are automatically considered for the Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University and for the benefits provided by the Fulbright Finland Foundation (see benefit list below).
Joe L. Roby and Hilppa A. K. Roby have established the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship, providing full-tuition support to undergraduate students from Finland with demonstrated financial need who are enrolled in Vanderbilt’s College of Arts and Science.
The Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship provides
- full tuition scholarship
- if a student has financial need that exceeds the full tuition scholarship, Vanderbilt will provide funding to help cover room, board and fees. The amount of any additional funding will be determined based on the applicant’s financial need.
- a stipend of up to $5,000 to be used for a onetime summer study abroad, research investigation or other approved experience
- an additional $1,500 per year as a travel allowance to and from Finland.
Mrs. Roby was born in Helsinki, Finland, was previously associated with the United Nations and is a longstanding trustee of the American-Scandinavian Foundation in New York City. Mr. Roby is a cum laude graduate of Vanderbilt University and has served on the University Board of Trust since 2000.
By submitting your application to Vanderbilt University and to a need-based financial support, you will automatically be considered for the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship.To be considered for the Hilppa A. K. Roby Scholarship, students must meet Vanderbilt’s admission criteria and are also required to apply and qualify for need-based financial assistance; no additional application is necessary for the Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship.
Vanderbilt's merit-based scholarships:
- Ingram Scholars
- Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholars
- Chancellor's Scholars
To be considered for Vanderbilt’s three signature merit-based scholarships, students must complete: appropriate forms from Vanderbilt’s Application Packet for Merit-Based Scholarships and the application for admission.
Vanderbilt University, set on a national arboretum in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee, comprises ten schools, including four undergraduate schools and eight graduate schools or programs. The university consistently earns a top-20 ranking from U.S. News & World Report. Vanderbilt’s 7,111 undergraduates and 6,685 graduate students from 95 countries engage in multidisciplinary research and teaching. Undergraduates have easy access to faculty, and over 50 percent participate in academic research. The Vanderbilt experience also includes 475+ student organizations, over 120 study abroad programs, Division I athletics, exciting immersion experiences, and new innovative programs like Climate Studies and Data Science.
Journey to Nashville - Read Agneetta's experiences in Nashville from her blog:
Journey to Nashville
There are two separate and independent application/review processes:
1. Apply to Vanderbilt University and their need-based financial support/ merit-based scholarships
Please read the detailed university application instructions at Vanderbilt University website:
>> Vanderbilt University: International Student Admissions
Vanderbilt University's admission decisions are completed by late March.
If you have any questions on the Vanderbilt University application process or the university scholarships, please contact Shane McGuire, Senior Associate Director (shane.mcguire(a)vanderbilt.edu) and also cc Fulbright Finland in the message (emilia.holopainen(a)fulbright.fi).
NB! Please make sure to take the English Language TOEFL or Duolingo English test as requested by the university. Standardized tests (SAT, ACT) are optional for Fall 2023 admission.
2. The Fulbright Finland Foundation review is a completely separate and independent process
Candidates with Finnish citizenship (dual-citizenship not eligible) accepted into Vanderbilt University with Hilppa A.K. Roby Scholarship or with special merit-based scholarships will be interviewed at the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki after Vanderbilt have made its decisions. The Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University cannot be given to those who already studies/lives in the U.S.
Those candidates that pass the Fulbright Finland Foundation review will receive the Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University which includes the following benefits from the Fulbright Finland Foundation:
- one-day orientation training seminar in Finland in the spring before departure to help prepare for studies at Vanderbilt University
- personal advising services, flexible access to materials at the Fulbright Finland Foundation
- access to the service website for all Fulbright Finland Foundation grantees at www.fulbright.fi
- support in the visa process
- support from Finnish and U.S. alumni
- access to Fulbright Finland Foundation's alumni network in Finland and in the U.S.
- Grant Award Ceremony together with all the other Fulbright Finland grantees
Partner Organization Contact Information
Senior Associate Director
"Vuodelta Fulbright Suomi -säätiön stipendiaattina odotan osallistumista maiden ja mannerten rajat ylittäviin yhteistyöprojekteihin, uusia tuttavuuksia ja verkoistoitumista. Odotan myös toimimista suomalaisen koulutuksen lähettiläänä amerikkalaisessa yliopistomaailmassa. Itselleni on suuri kunnia toimia Fulbright Suomi -säätiön lähettiläänä ja näin ollen saada mahdollisuus tarjota monille opiskelutovereille ensikosketus suomalaisuuteen. On ilo viedä Suomen kaltaisen maan viestiä eteenpäin korkeakoulutuksen saralta ja odotankin innolla ja jännityksellä mitä ensi syksy tuo tullessaan!" Agneetta Moisio, 2018-2019 Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University Awardee
Keskisuomalainen 19.5.2018: Huippuopinahjo Yhdysvalloissa kutsuu
- Fulbright Finland Outreach Ambassadors are happy to share their experiences from the U.S. Feel free to contact them.
- American College Life as a Finn
- Fulbright Finland Foundation Blog
Agneetta Moisio, Fulbright Finland Partnership Award with Vanderbilt University 2018-21, Vanderbilt University
- Fulbright Finland Foundation Blog
Fulbright Finland Foundation Programs
To get to know the ASLA-Fulbright program, its history and "Fulbright culture", listen a Yle Radio 1 program on the topic here.
Please see also the program history description here.
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Program Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as an access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.