The LUT community shares a certain attitude and state of mind. We do things differently. We look at things from unexpected perspectives, we question, and we search for solutions. We fight for a better world – for all that is good.
LUT University is a pioneering science university in Finland, bringing together the fields of science and business since 1969 and starting from 2023 also social sciences.
Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we seek new solutions with our education and research. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal.
We have served as a forerunner – combining technology and business – ever since our inception. Our international community is comprised of 6,500 students and experts of more than 90 different nationalities engaged in top-level international scientific research and academic education. Our campuses are located in the cities of Lappeenranta and Lahti, Finland.
LUT University promotes sustainable development and we are responsible in all our operations. Our strategic choices, scientific research, academic education and social interaction are all guided by the principles of ecological, economic and social sustainability.
Our special strengths include scientific quality, impact and education that leads to employment. LUT has been ranked in international university rankings among the top 3% of universities on a global scale (THE, QS rankings). LUT is the world’s top 9 university for climate action (THE Impact Rankings) and among the world’s top11 best small universities (THE).
We continuously assess the quality of our education and research through international accreditations. Accreditation is a guarantee of the quality, international approval and continuing development of our programs. Most of our degree programs have gained international accreditations.
- The Fulbright-LUT University Graduate Award includes a monthly grant of EUR 1 000 (paid for nine months).
- The grantee will also be provided with a travel award (USD 1600),
- residence permit allowance (based on the actual permit fees, incl. grantee and accompanying family members, funded by the Foundation) and
- a supplemental accident and sickness benefit (ASPE).
- Based on the agreement with the Fulbright Finland Foundation, LUT awards a scholarship for the recipients of the LUT University Graduate Award to cover the annual tuition fee of EUR 13 500. The scholarship is granted also for the second year of Master’s studies provided that the grantee has been successful in their studies during the first year.
- In addition, the grantee will be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland Foundation pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
- Opportunity to apply for additional funding from the Lois Roth Endowment. (This funding is applied for after arrival to Finland.)
- Alumni network and activities provided for the grantees of the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs.
Education loan deferment: While on a Fulbright in Finland, U.S. Student grantees have often been able to defer loans. Fulbright grants usually fall under the Graduate Fellowship deferment category. Grantee should confirm this with the lending institution.
Alumni who successfully complete the Fulbright U.S. Student Program are eligible for 12 months of non-competitive eligibility (NCE) hiring status within the federal government, with the possibility of extensions if certain criteria are met.
The Fulbright student award competition is open to U.S. students who hold minimum Bachelor's degree. Academically talented graduating seniors may also apply before having the degree in hand.
The grant is aimed primarily for students who wish to complete a full Master’s degree at Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology. Also other students, such as academically talented doctoral students and Master’s degree exchange students (non-degree students) will be considered for the grant.
Fulbright-LUT University Graduate Award has a dual application procedure: The Fulbright grant competition and admission to the university.
Before submitting your Fulbright application, please contact the program at LUT you are interested in to make sure you are eligible for the program.
The Fulbright grant competition
Please read the detailed application information for Finland. The final selection is made by the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki.
The application deadline is usually in early October for At-Large applicants. Candidates applying through a U.S. institution have usually a separate campus deadline for their Fulbright application which is typically 4-6 weeks earlier than the final October deadline. Please confirm the campus deadline with your home institution Fulbright program advisor.
The student is responsible for securing affiliation with LUT University. Degree student applicants need to apply for admission to LUT University in accordance with the university application procedure and timetable. You can see the application period for Master’s Degree Programs and Exchange Studies here. For more information please see http://www.lut.fi/web/en/admissions. Students seeking to pursue doctoral studies at LUT should contact Maija Kuiri, Director for Study and International Affairs, [email protected].
Please see the affiliation letter instructions and submission deadline on the Affiliation section on the U.S Student Program website.
More information on studying and application deadlines at the LUT University: www.lut.fi/masters, email enquiries: [email protected]
International Master’s Programs offered at LUT University
LUT University offers over 20 high-profile Master’s programs (M.Sc.) in technology, business and social sciences which are taught in English. With regards to doctoral studies, LUT offers academically challenging and well-planned doctoral programs in its fields of specialization. Also, a four-stage tenure track for researchers helps to build the academic careers of LUT teaching/research staff.
Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.)
- Chemical engineering
- Biorefineries, Lappeenranta campus
- Chemical Engineering in Energy Transition, Lappeenranta campus
- Food Processing Technology, Kouvola unit
- Water Technology, Mikkeli unit
- Computational engineering
- Data-Centric Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Electrical engineering
- Electric Transportation Systems, Lahti campus
- Electrical Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Energy technology
- Sustainable Energy Systems, Lappeenranta campus
- Energy Conversion, Lappeenranta campus
- Nuclear Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Environmental technology
- Sustainability Science and Solutions, Lappeenranta campus
- Circular Economy, Lahti campus
- Industrial engineering and management
- Innovation and Logistics, Kouvola unit
- Global Management of Innovation and Technology, Lappeenranta campus
- Mechanical engineering
- Industrial Design Engineering, Lahti campus
- Materials Science and Technology, Lappeenranta campus
- Mechanical Engineering, Lappeenranta campus
- Software engineering
- Digital Systems and Service Development, Lahti campus
- Software Engineering and Digital Transformation, Lappeenranta campus
- Software Product Management and Business, Lahti campus
Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration, M.Sc. (Econ. & Bus.Adm.)
- Business Analytics, Lappeenranta campus
- International Business and Entrepreneurship, Lappeenranta campus
- International Marketing Management, Lappeenranta campus
- Strategic Finance and Analytics, Lappeenranta campus
- Supply Management, Lappeenranta campus
Master of Social Sciences, M.Soc.Sc.
- Social Sciences
- Sociotechnical Systems and Sustainability Transitions, Lappeenranta campus
- Digital Social Science, Lappeenranta campus
- Communication Sciences
- Sustainable Communication and Digital Media, Lappeenranta campus
Please see the Grant Application Timeline on the Fulbright U.S. Student Program website under the heading Grant Timeline.
LUT University Campuses
Lappeenranta, a city of 72 000 residents located in South-east Finland, combines a cozy small town atmosphere with full-scale urban comforts. It is located by Lake Saimaa, the fourth largest lake in Europe.
LUT University’s green and modern campus in the district of Skinnarila offers a compact combination of all of the services students need. Most student apartments are located within walking distance, and the university offers everything from laboratories to library services and from restaurants to health care – literally under one roof. The campus is roughly seven kilometres from the city center, and buses run every 15 minutes.
Skinnarila has excellent sports and recreation venues. The campus houses several gyms, and group fitness classes are available almost daily. Moreover, Lake Saimaa and its surroundings provide ample opportunities for outdoor activities.
There are five lunch restaurants that offer student discounts on the campus. In addition, there is a café and convenience store.
The City of Lappeenranta shares our vision on sustainability. The city is continuously developing renewable energy and green technology solutions for urban living.
Lahti, a city of 120 000 residents, is known for its sports venues and is appreciated around the world for its design expertise and high-quality cultural events. The three core issues of the city’s competitiveness strategy are the circular economy, a combination of design and digitalization, and an active lifestyle and sports.
In the Lahti region, you can experience both vibrant urban life and nature’s tranquility. It offers the best of both worlds: the attractiveness, intimate coziness and originality of a small town, yet the services, efficiency and logistics of a major city.
LUT University’s Lahti campus is located in the district of Niemi, three kilometers from the Lahti city center. The new campus is a modern learning environment built in an old factory. Mixing the old and the new provides a unique and inspiring setting for learning and work.
- Fulbright Grant Programs & Destination Finland
- LUT University
- Visit Lappeenranta
- Visit Lahti
- This is Finland
Partner Organization Contact Information
Institute of International Education (IIE)
Kyler Castro, Regional Program Officer, Europe and Eurasia
Fulbright Student Scholar Program
Email: [email protected]
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of education and research in Finland, and help U.S. and Finnish institutions create linkages.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation Programs Unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
The Fulbright-LUT Graduate Award program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.