Residence Permit Guidance for U.S. Scholars

All participants of the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program (lecturers, lecturer/researchers, and researchers) whose stay in Finland exceeds 90 days must apply for and receive a residence permit before entering Finland. Dependents accompanying the grantee for more than 90 days must also have a valid residence permit.


Make sure that you fill in the correct residence permit application. Please take a note of the regulations provided to us below by the Finnish Immigration Service Migri concerning residence permits for Fulbright U.S. Scholar grantees and apply the correct permit that is applicable to your individual situation.

A) Fill in the application for the residence permit for scientific research (OLE_TUT) if you come to Finland to conduct research or your project combines both research and teaching. Please see the instructions below.

B) Fill in the application for the residence permit for employment of another kind (OLE_TY5) if you come to Finland to teach and your project does not include scientific research (e.g. Fulbright-Haaga-Helia Scholar and Fulbright-Turku UAS Scholar Awardees). Please see the instructions on the professional section.

Documents needed for the residence permit application for scientific research:

1. Completed application form for a residence permit

First, please fill in the online residence permit application form through the Finnish Immigration Service's pages. Please read the instructions for the residence permit application for scientific research carefully. In the online application system, you are looking for the “Residence permit application for scientific research” (OLE_TUT).

To fill out the application, you will first need to create a user account at the EnterFinland website:

Please note that each family member will need to have a separate user account (all the family members will  be connected together).

If your family is joining you to Finland, separate forms need to be filled out for each dependent. A spouse also needs to fill out form OLE_PH1 and children the form OLE_PH4.

Spouse: OLE_PH1

Child: OLE_PH4

In addition, the grantee must also fill the application PK1_plus for his/her spouse.

Please make use you fill out all sections of the form. The application will not be processed with inadequate information.

Please take note of the following additional instructions for Fulbright grantees:

Population register and the personal identity code

If the system allows, please request that your personal information is recorded in the Finnish Population Information System by ticking a box that addresses this matter in the residence permit application. This way you will receive a Finnish personal identity code at the same time as you are issued with the permit and this will make many practicalities easier for you in Finland. Please note that this may only be possible if you visit the Finnish Consulate which is an option only for OLE_MUU applicants.

Contact information in Finland

If you do not yet have the address, you can fill out the address of your host institution.

In the section “The applicant's beginning and duration of residence in Finland, and possible earlier residence”, please use the grant dates included in the official Fulbright Grant Authorization as your arrival and departure dates.

Grounds for applying for the residence permit

In the section “Income and general information“ under the title “Additional information for the application”, please write that you are a Fulbright U.S. Scholar grantee (except PhD students write that you are a Fulbright U.S. Student Program grantee) and specify that you are applying for the residence permit to conduct research or conduct research and teach on a Fulbright grant.

For a spouse, in his/her OLE_PH1, in section “Grounds for the residence permit of your spouse”, category “other” should be selected and the same information should be added, i.e. that you are a spouse of a Fulbright Scholar grantee.The same information should be added at the OLE_PH4 for each child.

Employer information

In the section where you are asked to write employer information such as name of the employer and company number, please use the following Fulbright Finland Foundation information:

Fulbright Finland Foundation
Company number: 2771106-4
Address: Hakaniemenranta 6
Postal code: 00530
City: Helsinki

2. Two passport sized photos

The photos must follow the passport photo guidelines issued by the police. Incorrect pictures cannot be accepted.

3. Valid passport

Make sure the U.S. passport is valid for the entire period you will stay in Finland. The Fulbright grant does not cover expenses related to passport fees.

4. Fulbright documents

This means both of the following:

  • Award letter sent by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) in Washington, D.C.
  • Grant Authorization issued by the Fulbright Finland Foundation and signed by you.

Please note, that the “Grant Authorization” document also gives the required information detailing your allowance, the duration of your stay and the details of your duties. Please add both Fulbright documents to the "Clarification of Income" section.

Additional proof of funds may be requested. Please provide proof of all financial support available to you for your period in Finland (personal savings, sabbatical pay, etc).

Please note, that you also must include with your residence permit application a signed Researcher Agreement which you need to request from your host institution.

5. If your family is joining you to Finland, a separate OLE_PH1 and/or OLE_PH4 form needs to be filled out for each dependent

A spouse also needs to fill out form OLE_PH1 and child a form OLE_PH4. Grantee and spouse need to create their own accounts on the EnterFinland residence permit application system and use their own separate email addresses for that.

Also, the grantee must fill in the form PK1_plus for each child.

Normally, Migri processes children's and spouse's residence permit applications at the same time as the grantee's application.

If your spouse is applying to join you in Finland, a legalized copy of your marriage certificate should be attached to the application. If your children are applying with you, please attach legalized copies of their birth certificates and legalized signatures by both custodians.  The certificates are legalized by an authenticity stamp i.e. apostilleThe apostille ensures that the certificates are recognized also in Finland.

If you already have a notarized certificate for the marriage/birth certificate, but it looks like that receiving the apostille takes several weeks, according to Migri, you can submit your residence permit application with the notarized certificate and amend it online later with the apostille. Do indicate in the application that you will submit the apostille later. Please note that Migri will not make a decision on your application until they have received all the required documents.

You will be asked to show the original versions of your marriage certificate and children's birth certificates at the VFS Global Application Center or Finnish Consulate. Please hold on to the original documents and take them with you when traveling to Finland. You will be asked to show the certificates as well as the apostilles at the local Digital and Population Data Services Agency DVV when in Finland.

6. Processing fee

A processing fee is charged for the residence permit application. Pay the processing fee with a credit card or the online bank credentials of a Finnish bank. Personal checks are NOT accepted.

7. Visit to the VFS Global Application Center or Finnish Consulate

When you start the application process, please contact the VFS Global Application Center or Finnish Consulate to see if you can already schedule an appointment to prove your identity. You will also be fingerprinted for a biometric residence permit card at the Center or Consulate.

Please see instructions on how to book and appointment and what to bring with for the appointment at the VFS Global website. Make sure that your passport is valid for your entire stay in Finland or longer.

Please note that you may be requested additional documents, if needed.