Any field represented at VTT.
Description of Activity
The grantee will undertake research at VTT. The research project funded by the Fulbright-VTT Grant can be based on either current VTT projects or the researcher can propose a project of his/her own. The grant is awarded for visits of 4-6 months and it is also possible to award two periods which together meet these limits.
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations.
VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
The current focus areas of VTT’s research portfolio are:
- Silicon photonics
- Hyperspectral technologies
- Printed electronics and diagnostics
- Quantum technologies
- Control and connectivity of industrial systems
- Nano satellite technology
- Excellence to integrate Energy/ Built environments + ICT
- Smart grids (combined understanding of energy systems and ICT (power electronics, data analytics)
- Electrification of traffic
- Advanced Robotics
- Systemic design & modeling
- Application-driven data-analytics
- Autonomous Systems, Autonomous Vehicles
- Holistic Smart City integration
- Virtual reality technologies
- Metabolic engineering
- New plastic economy
- Biobased electronics and other novel applications of cellulose
All research aims at having a final impact in the form of new technologically-based applications in business or society.
Collaboration with the world´s most prominent research partners and an active involvement in international research and innovation activities are an essential component of VTT´s research and development work. R&D networking guarantees VTT’s persistent position in the forefront of international research in its selected focus areas.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
VTT’s largest presence is in Otaniemi, Helsinki Metropolitan Area. It is known as a center for technology industry, research and education. Other major office locations include Oulu, Jyväskylä and Tampere. Read more about Helsinki at Visit Helsinki and more about Espoo at Visit Espoo.
The Fulbright-VTT Grant in Science, Technology and Innovation is available for research visits of 4-6 months. It includes a monthly award of EUR 5,000, free housing, and round-trip travel. Additionally, the Fulbright-VTT grantee will receive the full support services provided by Fulbright Finland for all Fulbright grantees in Finland.
The grant is funded in co-operation by VTT, and Fulbright Finland, the Finnish Fulbright Commission. The Fulbright-VTT Grant in Science, Technology and Innovation is a special grant within the Fulbright U.S. Core Scholar Program administered by the Institute of International Education/Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES/IIE). Further information is available from CIES/IIE.
The application period for the academic year 2020-2021 ends on September 16, 2019.
Applications are submitted through IIE/CIES. The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (IIE/CIES) pre-screens the applications in the U.S. and forwards the recommended applications to the Fulbright Finland for final selection. Instructions and application materials are available from IIE/CIES.
Please note that you have to make yourself a "My Fulbright" profile in order to access the program details and the Catalog of Awards.
Assistance and Additional Information
NOTE: For any generic questions, please contact recruitment(at)vtt.fi. Refer to our publications and mention any VTTers who you have worked with when contacting VTT for the first time. This will help us to find a relevant research contact. We encourage contacts to take place as early as possible as most of Finland is on vacation in July.
Applicants are advised to contact the Finnish host institution well ahead of time to solicit an invitation letter for their application.
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Erika Holt, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist, Programme Manager
Tel. +358 40 593 1986
Senior Specialist, Global Mobility
Tel: +358 40 637 4844
Fulbright Finland Foundation
Ms. Emmi Jelekäinen
tel: +358 44 5535 286
Council for International Exchange of Scholars (IIE/CIES)
1400 K Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of Finnish higher education institutions.
What Makes the Fulbright program unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as an access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
Fulbright-VTT Grant in Science, Technology and Innovation program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.