Purpose of the Grant Program
The Fulbright Finland Foundation and VTT Technical Research Center of Finland offer a unique opportunity for international research collaboration on a broad range of current issues in science, technology and innovation. The grantee will undertake research at VTT. The research project funded by the Fulbright-VTT Grant can be based on either current VTT projects or the researcher can propose a project of his/her own. The grant is awarded for visits of four to six months.
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the VTT for more information and to work together in designing the grant activities. Please check VTT’s publication database before contacting VTT to find the research most closely linked to your research interest.
The Fulbright-VTT Grant in Science, Technology and Innovation is jointly funded by the VTT Technical Research Center of Finland and the Fulbright Finland Foundation.
The Fulbright-VTT Scholar Award is available for visits of 4–6 months. It includes:
- Monthly grant of 5,000 EUR (approx. 5,500 USD), paid out in euro in monthly installments.
- One-time travel allowance of 1,800 USD.
- Housing for the scholar and his/her accompanying family arranged and paid for by the host university.
- Work facilities and administrative support.
- Orientation and support services provided by Fulbright Finland in Helsinki. For example, Fulbright Finland will arrange a four-day arrival orientation in Helsinki for all U.S. Fulbright grantees at the end of August each year (orientation is also arranged in January for grantees arriving for the spring semester).
- Fulbright Finland mid-year activities and networking opportunities (such as the American Voices Seminar at the University of Turku) each year.
The grantee will also be eligible, free of charge, to participate in a Fulbright Finland pre-approved summer school in Finland consisting of courses on Finnish language, culture and society, pending availability of suitable programs.
The grant is awarded mainly to candidates with a Ph.D., but candidates with an MSc degree and strong expertise in their field may also be considered.
Professionals/non-academics with a minimum experience of five years in the field will be considered.
The candidate must be a U.S. citizen. Proposals for medical research involving clinical training, patient care or patient contact are not eligible.
U.S. Scholar Program eligibility guidelines and review criteria are published on the Council for International Exchange of Scholar (IIE/CIES) website.
Applicants residing in Finland are not eligible for a Fulbright grant.
VTT Technical Research Center of Finland
VTT has office locations throughout the country. VTT’s largest presence is in Otaniemi, Helsinki Metropolitan Area. It is known as a center for technology industry, research and education. Other major office locations include Oulu, Jyväskylä and Tampere. Read more about Helsinki at Visit Helsinki and more about Espoo at Visit Espoo.
The current focus areas of VTT’s research portfolio are:
- Silicon photonics
- Hyperspectral technologies
- Printed electronics and diagnostics
- Quantum technologies
- Control and connectivity of industrial systems
- Nano satellite technology
- Excellence to integrate Energy/ Built environments + ICT
- Smart grids (combined understanding of energy systems and ICT (power electronics, data analytics)
- Electrification of traffic
- Advanced Robotics
- Systemic design & modeling
- Application-driven data-analytics
- Autonomous Systems, Autonomous Vehicles
- Holistic Smart City integration
- Virtual reality technologies
- Metabolic engineering
- New plastic economy
- Biobased electronics and other novel applications of cellulose
How to Apply?
The application period for the academic year 2021-2022 closes on September 15, 2020.
The U.S. program partner in the Fulbright Scholar Program is the Institute of International Education/Council for International Exchange of Scholars (IIE/CIES). Applications are submitted through IIE/CIES and forwarded to its discipline-based peer review committee. Applications recommended by the committee are then sent to the Fulbright Finland Foundation in Helsinki for final selection.
Additional information and detailed application instructions are available from the Fulbright Finland Foundation and IIE/CIES websites.
Resources for Hosts:
|Application period starts:||February 14, 2020|
|Application period ends:||September 15, 2020|
|Earliest possible starting date:||August 2021|
|Orientation seminar in Helsinki:||TBC (expected in mid-August 2021 or mid-January 2022 for scholars arriving in 2022)|
NOTE: July and August are traditionally summer vacation months in Finland and responses to inquiries be delayed. Applicants are advised to contact the Finnish host institution well ahead of time to solicit an invitation letter for their application.
|Fulbright Finland Foundation
(general Fulbright program related questions)
(host institution related questions)
+358 44 5535 275
What is the Fulbright Finland Foundation?
The Fulbright Finland Foundation is a private, independent, not-for-profit organization based in Helsinki, Finland. The Foundation’s aim is
- to promote a wider exchange of knowledge and professional talents through educational contacts between Finland and the United States, and
- to support the internationalization of Finnish higher education institutions.
What Makes the Fulbright Finland Foundation programs unique?
- In addition to the grant, the Fulbright Finland Foundation offers the grantees several additional benefits and free support services, as well as an access to a global, multi-professional network.
- We are looking for applicants who want to impact the future and to make a difference – applicants who want to facilitate positive change, develop and advance their own profession or discipline, and find solutions to national and international challenges in their field.
- The grantees also act as ambassadors for the Fulbright Finland Foundation, their home country, and their home organization and, in this way, do their part in sharing their home country and culture and contributing to the relations between Finland and the U.S.
Fulbright-VTT Grant in Science, Technology and Innovation program is part of the global Fulbright program operating in over 160 countries worldwide.